Beacon Sandalwood Dray Shed
- Sandalwood Dray Shed
Sandalwood cutters came in the 1880's after a boom in sandalwood prices. The area was opened to pastoral leases as far north as Datjoin in 1872. Sandalwood cutters were very active in the district around Beacon from 1880's and they extended further north in the 1920's when the industry was thriving. The sandalwood cutters used the water points recorded by the early explorers and in later days the sandalwooders tracks were used by early settlers linking them to many areas.
The Dray Shed was built by Beacon Men’s Shed volunteers and the materials for the shed were funded by the Shire of Mt Marshall. The Shire Mt Marshall has adopted the slogan “The Sandalwood Shire” and has erected a shed in Beacon and Bencubbin as a tribute.
The Beacon Men’s Shed and the Beacon Sandalwood Dray Shed are under the management of the Beacon Progress Association.